Thursday, September 13, 2012

Letter To my Rabbi

Hi Rabbi S,

Hope you and your family are doing well.

I just wanted to send you an email with a few thoughts. I heard from
B that the school is making a big change next year and becoming
a Bais Yaakov school. I am very sad to hear this news but I hope that
it is a success. The reason I am saddened by this news is because I
don't think Israel needs another Bais Yaakov type school and I think
A could fill an important void in the seminary out there. I think
that you have helped a lot of girls and could be an amazing school if
you aimed for 'the normal, modern girl'. I know that that type is not
easy and comes with a lot of struggles and heartache but it is so
worth it. There are so many girls that need a place to fit and be
loved for who they are. And yes, I speak from experience. I do not fit
into the frum girl mold and I have never wanted to. You opened your
school to me and your office and let me be who I needed to be.

I get that it's hard to run a school when you end up with misfits and
screw ups, but where are those girls supposed to go? Don't they still
deserve a chance? I know that there are probably a million reasons why
you have made this decision to change the school and I hope that it
will be successful. I would just like you to know that you have made a
huge difference in my life and it was only because of your open
mindedness and accepting nature. Thank you for always being there for
me, even if I didn't take advantage and didn't always show proper
hakaras hatov. I have definitely been affected by my Afikei
experience. I may not have always made the right decisions but I am
slowly coming back to being the real me. And i give you a lot of that
credit.

I wish you a ketiva vechatima tova and thank you from the bottom of
my heart for all you have done for me,

R

No comments:

Post a Comment